Multi-stakeholder interoperability platform connects data operations and IoT devices with end-to-end security and advanced governance support for data-driven enterprises across industries
SAN FRANCISCO, May 18, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Intertrustthe leader in trusted distributed computing and rights management technologies, today launched two major feature enhancements to its multiparty data interoperability platform, Intertrust Platform, that build trust and provide protection by connecting operations enterprise data and IoT devices with unique glass panel functionality.
Intertrust platform now includes two critical features for IoT and Web3.0 (Web3) environments:
- Explicit Private Networks (XPN) – Intertrust Platform XPN technology provides end-to-end security for data at rest as well as in transit from the device to the cloud and back. With Intertrust XPN, data is still protected and processed in secure and tamper-proof execution environments.
- Token Rights Management (TRM) – Intertrust Platform TRM is a revolutionary distributed governance technology that supports distributed authentication and authorization systems. Intertrust TRM supports traditional data and DRM applications, NFT applications, and standards-based digital twins for hardware device security.
Intertrust XPN seals the gaps where hackers often go: when data is at rest; unprotected on devices or in the cloud; falling through the cracks of incomplete network security; competing cloud, data warehouse and database systems; and exploitable incompatibilities between key management systems from different vendors. As a result, the risk of hacking is reduced, while data usage increases and business models become securely data-driven.
“Intertrust Platform with XPN and TRM provides a comprehensive solution for enterprises looking to protect complex data operations and IoT devices while transitioning to Web3 and data-driven business models,” said Talal G. Shamoon, CEO of ‘Intertrust. “With the new XPN and TRM features, Intertrust Platform transforms various existing IT infrastructures into a secure interoperable system that transforms ‘zero trust’ networks into ‘full trust’ environments.”
The Intertrust platform provides organizations with the ability to operate competing data operating systems and IoT devices in a consistent, secure, and controlled manner. The platform integrates authentication/authorization into the data access layer and overlays the existing data operation infrastructure. This gives businesses the freedom to select and safely execute the best application solutions. Therefore, AI, data analytics and other processing solutions operate as secure applications on the Platform.
“Organizations see the value of IoT applications but are often hesitant to adopt them due to security concerns,” said Bill Rosenblatt, President, GiantSteps Media Technology Strategies. “The combination of Intertrust XPN’s unique end-to-end trust capabilities and Intertrust’s heritage as an innovator in distributed trust computing and a reliable operator of trusted systems will give organizations the confidence to more fully realize the promise of the IoT.
The Intertrust platform is deployed in industry-specific applications such as energy, mobility, media and entertainment and in trials for the healthcare market. The company provides toolkits for vertical applications such as those designed for renewable energy, grid planning, home automation and digital rights management.
Intertrust provides trusted IT products and services to the world’s leading enterprises, from mobile, consumer electronics and IoT manufacturers to service providers and enterprise software platform companies. These products include world-leading digital rights management (DRM) and technologies enabling private data exchange for vertical industries such as energy, entertainment, retail/marketing, automotive, fintech and the IoT. Founded in 1990, Intertrust is headquartered in Silicon Valley with regional offices in London, Tokyo, Bombay, bangalore, beijing, Seouland Tallinn. The Company has a heritage of invention and its fundamental contributions to the areas of computer security and digital trust are globally recognized. Intertrust holds hundreds of patents that are essential to Internet security, trust and privacy management components of operating systems, trusted mobile code and network operating environments, web services and cloud and edge computing. Additional information is available at intertrust.comor follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn.
Intertrust Platform XPN and TRM Fact Sheet
1. XPN and TRM are based on Intertrust’s patented architecture derived from its extensive experience in trusted computing and DRM. They extend the existing capabilities of the Intertrust platform which include a unique trusted virtualization system, secure execution capabilities, as well as a scalable IoT authentication system that has issued billions of IoT device certificates in the world. world. The Intertrust platform also includes a highly scalable, cost-effective, and secure time-series database system for real-time distributed data processing.
2. XPN leverages flexible PKI (public key infrastructure) certificates, latest industry-standard cryptographic techniques, attestation, and data governance to seamlessly ensure device integrity, authenticity, and privacy/security/privacy IoT and the data they transmit. XPN’s protection persists from the original device to the cloud services that manage the data and the final distribution to the end applications.
3. Unlike VPNs or other network-centric security measures that can only protect a single network segment, XPN is specifically designed to be independent of all current or future networking technologies and modalities.
4. XPN adds the following features to the Intertrust platform:
- Protection of persistent data: XPN ensures that sensitive processing in IoT devices only occurs in secure environments. Data packets are digitally signed and optionally encrypted before being transmitted. When received from the server side of the Intertrust Platform, the data is checked/validated to ensure its integrity and, upon confirmation, routed to its final destination or processed within the platform’s secure processing environment. IoT data is also easily combined with other data and metadata sources.
- Entity Attestation Tokens: When an IoT device is introduced into an application, XPN issues a standards-compliant token certifying that the device is secure and trustworthy. The token is checked by Intertrust Platform to verify its trust status. The application can then decide to trust the device and the data it transmits. It communicates this state of trust to applications built on the Intertrust platform.
- Improved auditing: Intertrust Platform includes extensive auditing functionality as part of its data governance capabilities. XPN expands on this by introducing the ability to add information about IoT data used in transactions to the audit. This information may include timestamps and attestations about device and data integrity. Organizations can use these enhanced audits for business or regulatory purposes.
- Digital twin and firewall for legacy devices and systems: Many connected devices, such as SCADA systems used in industrial applications, have limited or no hardware security capabilities. For these devices, XPN maintains a digital twin of the device. This digital twin acts as a firewall for the device in that all connection requests to the device are first received by the digital twin and are only routed to the device if deemed safe.
5. Many IoT devices are installed in domestic or industrial environments where organizations have little control over the security environment. The networks connecting these devices are riddled with security vulnerabilities, including weak security protocols, incomplete implementations, and misconfigured gateways that can provide easy access to malicious botnets and other malware. Sensitive data can become exposed and vulnerable to criminal attacks, potentially creating dangerous risks for critical infrastructure. Emerging standards such as the IoT Device Cybersecurity Capability Core Baseline (NIST 8259A) from the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) address these issues and XPN can be a core technology to meet these standards.
6. TRM enables users of the Intertrust Platform to manage datasets, content items and IoT devices with a network of secure pointers or tokens. This allows data to be securely associated with digital rights and digital usage rules applied to each other in protected processing environments. Data and edge can now be securely governed in compute-efficient architectures. TRM also provides a distributed authentication system using Interturst’s iPKI technology for devices or any Intertrust-certified Blockchain technology. TRM supports:
- Secure Digital Media NFT and XPN Digital Twin apps: NFT applications today suffer from massive fraud and lack basic digital rights management capabilities due to a lack of security for digital contracts and digital content in NFT. Intertrust Platform TRM enables flexible and secure business models to be applied to NFT platforms. The platform also allows NFT-related metadata management and integration into popular DRM systems such as Intertrust ExpressPlay. TRM is blockchain technology independent and can be used with any Intertrust-certified blockchain.
- Market and data exchange applications: With TRM, users can manage devices and data and create value exchanges through trusted intermediary clearinghouses for markets such as power and carbon. With the extensive auditing capabilities provided by XPN combined with TRM, cloud-based value exchange services are reliable and auditable.